07 February 2007

ฺ10 Baht Buddha Amulets


It's a topic on Pantip.com that one of game show hosts named Witawat said on his show that "... 10 Baht Buddha amulet.. which has no power of protection nor even holy.." This became a talk on topic that.. I don't know why he said so. It's quite un-buddhist. (at least to me)

But i guess he just wanted to point out that "THIS 10 Baht Buddha WHICH has no magical power.." and some people are making out of it. Buy it cheap, sell it at high price.. and lie to people that it's "original"

Well, thing is. Some fake monks were trying to make money from people by buying cheap Buddha Amulets from amulets market (probably 5-10 Baht each) and later, try to sell it at very expensive price telling them that this amulet is very powerful and sacred from this famous temple, from that famous master.. It's a scam.(and illegal of course, they went to jail)

I think still.. too many people here mistaken Buddha amulet as "an object that protects a person from trouble, accident, evil" which I don't see anything wrong with if it makes them feel better. But point is some people think that believing in power of Buddha amulets is Buddhism. I can say it here and it's not Buddhism at all.

Even on the topic. Some people replied to the
thread that.. "... he's right, only 10 Baht Buddha amulet. Never been "Pluk-Sek" (blessed, make sacred or potent by some magic or incantations) how can it be holy!"

To me. Buddha amulet is just Buddha amulet. 10 Baht or 200,000 Baht Buddha.. makes no difference to me. Only one thing I get from hanging Buddha amulet around my neck, is to remind me about Buddha's teaching and the core of Buddhism. The way of living.

Besides, Buddha never taught us to believe in supernatural power. I think it's such a blind that some people are really arguing over this "10 Baht Buddha amulet has no power" stuff. It's totally opposite of what Buddha left his teaching for us.

Anyway, I believe .. that the TV show host didn't mean to say that cheap Buddha amulets are not as powerful as expensive original ones. He just meant to point out that this is a scam. I'm just quite surprised about replies from some people on the forum. Which it doesn't look like they know the difference between Buddhism and occultism at all. While it said on their Thai ID cards that they're Buddhists.

Oh well..

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely agree with you, Pueng. I, myself, don't wear Buddha amulet around my neck, but I always have Buddha's teaching in my mind - live a simple life.

By the way, where do they sell ten-baht Buddha amulets? I wonder if it's around Tah-Pra-Chan as there are loads of them all over the path.

Oh well..

Wednesday, 07 February, 2007  
Blogger bee said...

yeah at Ta Pra Chan. There are soooooo many of them. You can find some funny objects too :-D

Wednesday, 07 February, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you, to! I find your blog very interesting since I’m a westerner and most things I read about Thailand are from other westerners.

Wednesday, 07 February, 2007  
Blogger bee said...

Thanks Jom!
:-) I'll keep it coming

Friday, 09 February, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home